KHN’s What the Health? News You Might Have Missed
It’s been further busy on the well being coverage beat recently what the health, so a congressional recess supplies an opportunity to discover among the necessary tales that individuals may need missed, like Medicare’s determination to dramatically restrict protection of Aduhelm, the controversial new drug to deal with Alzheimer’s illness. And even with Congress out, states are dashing to both prohibit or develop entry to abortion, forward of a key Supreme Courtroom ruling anticipated later this spring or summer time. what the health
This week’s panelists are Julie Rovner of KHN, Margot Sanger-Katz of The New York Instances, Joanne Kenen of Politico and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg Faculty of Public Well being, and Alice Miranda Ollstein of Politico.
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- The choice by the Facilities for Medicare & Medicaid Companies to restrict Medicare’s protection of Aduhelm solely to beneficiaries who additionally enroll in scientific research of the brand new Alzheimer’s drug got here regardless of intense stress from sufferers and advocacy teams who’re annoyed by the dearth of latest therapies for this devastating illness. However the federal company additionally seems to have been swayed by arguments by some researchers and public well being specialists that the sooner analysis on the drug was defective. what the health
- The dust-up over Medicare protection for Aduhelm factors to a supply of rigidity within the US well being system: Totally different authorities businesses have overlapping authorities. This dispute is between the FDA, which authorized the drug regardless of critical questions on its effectiveness and security, and CMS, which needed to determine whether or not to cowl the price of a really controversial drug that can be very costly. However comparable tensions even have performed out between the FDA and the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention over covid-19 vaccine schedules and eligibility. what the health
- A current Bloomberg report checked out issues that the federal authorities is overpaying for beneficiaries enrolled in personal Medicare Benefit plans. Extra progressive Democratic members of Congress have lengthy complained about this, however Republicans are sturdy supporters of the Medicare Benefit program.
- Regardless of the complaints of some on the left concerning the extra funding of those Medicare plans, they’ve been rising. That’s, partly, as a result of the standard Medicare program has many holes and cost-sharing obligations that individuals with modest incomes are nervous about shouldering, and Medicare Benefit has grow to be enticing to them. That has sophisticated the previously partisan politics over this system. what the health
- The Biden administration is reportedly in discussions with a number of states about organising packages to import cheaper medication from Canada. For the Democrats, this could possibly be a robust marketing campaign speaking level — very like efforts on Capitol Hill to cap the value of insulin — about attempting to assist folks with a critical pocketbook difficulty. Drug costs have constantly been a client concern.
- Nonetheless, it’s not clear whether or not Canada is focused on serving to the US with a drug import program and, even when it did, there’s no indication that the quantity of medicine Canadians may present would considerably affect costs on this nation. what the health
- Oklahoma’s governor has signed a invoice that might make it a felony to carry out an abortion, and Florida’s governor on Thursday authorized a invoice transferring the restrict for an abortion from 24 weeks to fifteen weeks. Because the nation waits for the Supreme Courtroom to rule on a case this summer time that might overturn or weaken the landmark Roe v. wade determination, conservative states are racing to seek out methods to restrict or ban abortions. what the health
- If the Supreme Courtroom does upend protections assured beneath the Roe determination, it’s unlikely that clinics in states which can be preserving the best to an abortion will be capable to fill the necessity.
- But even with the rising motion in conservative states, abortion-rights supporters had been surprised this week when a Texas prosecutor filed homicide prices towards a lady who had an abortion. The costs, nevertheless, had been rapidly dismissed. what the health
- The CDC this week launched new knowledge displaying an increase in 2020 within the variety of instances of gonorrhea and syphilis — probably the byproduct of much less entry to well being care throughout the early phases of the pandemic. Though the illnesses can simply be cured with antibiotics, the general public might not notice the necessity to search medical care or the devastating penalties of letting the illnesses go untreated. what the health
- The CDC additionally reported that drug overdose deaths reached a document excessive final yr.
Plus, for further credit score, the panelists suggest their favourite well being coverage tales of the week they suppose you must learn, too:
Julie Rovner: Politico’s “Mice Occupy FDA Places of work After Meals Left Behind in Pandemic,” by David Lim and Lauren Gardner
Margot Sanger-Katz: Well being Affairs’ “Many Medicare Beneficiaries Do Not Fill Excessive-Worth Specialty Drug Prescriptions,” by Stacie B. Dusetzina et. there
Joanne Kenen: Vox’s “America Wants Extra Docs and Nurses to Survive the Subsequent Pandemic,” by Dylan Scott
Alice Miranda Ollstein: Politico’s “Republicans See CDC’s Coverage Change as ‘Huge Political Loser for Democrats,’” by Alice Miranda Ollstein and Krista Mahr
Additionally mentioned on this week’s podcast:
Bloomberg’s “Main Insurers Are Scamming Billions From Medicare, Whistle-Blowers Say,” by John Tozzi
KHN’s “Researcher: Medicare Benefit Plans Costing Billions Extra Than They Ought to,” by Fred Schulte
KHN’s “’What the Well being?’: The Drug Worth Dilemma,” that includes Stacie B. Dusetzina
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
And subscribe to KHN’s What the Well being? on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts or wherever you take heed to podcasts.
KHN (Kaiser Well being Information) is a nationwide newsroom that produces in-depth journalism about well being points. Along with Coverage Evaluation and Polling, KHN is without doubt one of the three main working packages at KFF (Kaiser Household Basis). KFF is an endowed nonprofit group offering data on well being points to the nation.
For the latest news and updates please follow us on Instagram.